Be Happy!

This little girl looks like she got interrupted on her way to play! Don't you wish you could be a little girl again and play all day?

At work we have been charged to come up with things our Mother used to say that taught us how to act toward others, and illustrate it with a picture. Finding a picture was not a problem -- but trying to think of something my Mom used to say that fit the picture -- not so easy!

This picture looks like "Stand still and smile so I can get your picture!" And it was probably taken by my father. I think the picture was taken in either Miami or Corpus Christi -- just a guess from the background. But it could have been taken in Houston, too.

Things your Mom told you -- "Clean your plate!" (I really did not like to eat when I was little.) Of course, I heard about the "starving children in China" as well. There was a chicken place in Waco that gave kids a silver dollar if they cleaned their plates. One of my favorite memories!

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything." Very wise words. And the classic -- "If Jenny jumps off a bridge, would you want to?" when I said something like "but Jenny gets to do that." And of course, "Because I said so." That's now a movie.

Although I cannot think of the exact words, my Mom did teach me to be kind to others. She did this many times by her own actions. She was nice to everyone. She had a lot of friends. She was kind to my friends. She didn't kill me when I volunteered her to be Room Mother. She made my clothes -- and cared about my opinion. She was someone I could depend on. She made me be nice to my little sister. She shaped my sister and I into caring individuals. She was proud of us. Who knows? Maybe the reason Nancy and I are both nurses was due somehow to our Mom.

In the end, I just turned to the scriptures. I have memories of my mom taking my sister and I to church when we were little. The scriptures always have something to say on any topic.

"Happy are those who deal justly with others
and always do what is right."

Psalm 106:3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now Somewhere in the Black Mining Hills of Dakota....

THE WEDDING!

On Being Alone