Fortnight in Paris - Sunday Adventures

Our first Sunday in Paris was probably one of the most exciting days we initially had!  It started early, as we were heading to the French services at the local Eglise du Christ in the 17th district.  We were in the 2nd district.  But nothing is very far away when the Metro is right in front of your door!

It was warm that day.  Metro ride took about 15 minutes, then we had about a 10 minute walk to the church.  We arrived in plenty of time for services.
Did I mention it was warm that day?  And humid.  It was only a short walk.  Nevertheless, I arrived there with the bottom inch of my hair all the way around just soaking wet.  In fact, I had to use a kleenex to wring it out.  I am sure no one noticed.  There's more.  We proceed to meet and greet folks.  We have attended here before, and the missionary there is the same as before.  We were impressed by how much the membership had grown, and the new improvements made to the worship area.

Services were in French.  They do have English services, but Mike speaks French and totally enjoyed the French service.  I understand the first four lessons in Rosetta Stone French.  Very basic.  But I surely enjoyed the singing and working on my pronunciation.

As we are leaving, Mike says to me, "By the way, did you mean to wear your shirt inside out?"  I was like, "WHAT?".  And sure enough, my shirt was very obviously inside out!  So, I was meeting and greeting folks with a soaking wet head and a shirt on inside out!  Oh, well, I am sure that is the style somewhere!

That was my adventure.  Mike's adventure was yet to come.  We headed for the metro.  We had to wait a few minutes.  The train comes.  Mike, like a proper gentleman, ushers me on the train.  Then waits as a older woman boards.  As Mike boards, the older woman boards and plants herself right in his path.  He has no choice but to stop and try to move around her.  As this is happening, three teen-age girls rush to get on behind Mike.  Did you guess?  Mike says, in English, "Get your hands out of my pockets!".  Then several people on the train say, in French, "Pickpockets!".  Okay, it is the same word in French, but it sounds different with a French accent.  The door has closed to the train.  The girls and the older woman hang out together close to the door.   Mike sits beside me.  They don't even look guilty.

Lucky for Mike he has on pants with very deep pockets.  Nothing was taken.  But we were very careful getting on the metro after that!  And Mike wore tight jeans after that!  We never had another pickpocket happening while we were in Paris.


"God's way is perfect.
All the LORD's promises prove true.
He is a shield for all
who look to him for protection."
Psalm 18:30

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now Somewhere in the Black Mining Hills of Dakota....

THE WEDDING!

On Being Alone