Fortnight in Paris! Part II

So, we awake the next morning.  Time to check our emails, right?  But although it was 9 a.m. in Paris, it was only 2 a.m. at home!  Not much there.  BUT, it was still fun to see Yahoo in French!


Our first Saturday in Paris began with walking!  Imagine that!  We were staying in the 2nd district.  Our apartment owner had pointed us in the direction of the first bakery in Paris.  So we decided to head that way.  But of course we had to eat first!  Decided on an omelette at a lovely place on the way.  It was a beautiful day to eat outside.  Of course, I took a picture of my omelette.  It was truly an awesome omelette!  Add some l'eau du Robinet, cafe au lait, and it was the perfect meal.


The bakery was the oldest in Paris.  It was small, and had some interesting pastries.  It also had a buffet lunch on one side of it!  Was not expecting that!  We just looked.  We were way too full from breakfast to eat anything!

It was located on a little street about 10 minutes walk from our apartment.  The same street changed names a lot as we walked down it.  There were lots of shops on this street, and I believe by the time we got to this street, it was very narrow.  You can see the cars in the first picture.  The further down the street we got, it was blocked to cars.

We eventually made it to the Pont Des Arts bridge.  One of the bridges that has the locks on it.  Or it could have been Pont Neuf.  I get confused.  We were on both of them at various times during the trip.  Here's a couple of pictures.  If someone figures out which one, let me know!



After this we headed on down to Saint Chapelle.  A little church we somehow missed seeing our last visit in Paris.  But then, there is so much to see in Paris, that I wonder what else we have missed?  When we got to Saint Chapelle, we had to wait outside in a long line.  We had not purchased a museum pass, hence the long wait.  Museum pass holders go to the head of the line!  But it really did not take too long.  

The outside of Saint Chapelle:


I snapped a picture of this sign, just because I liked the wording.  And actually, the spanish on the sign helped me translate the french!  You will have to click on the picture and enlarge it to read it.

I can't even begin to describe the inside of Saint Chapelle.  So I will just post a few pictures and let you soak it all in.  All I can say is that it was lovely.  I am not a great photographer, so it loses something in the pictures.  Especially the sunlight streaming in through the stained glass windows.




 

 I know we did a lot of walking and exploring that day.  We found our way back to the metro and went back to the apartment.  Have no idea where we ate dinner that night!  We had so many great meals in our area of town, that they all seem to blur together!

Last time we were in Paris, we took a city bus for fun.  Got on it, went the wrong way, and ended up with an impromptu tour of Paris via bus.  This time we decided to be more purposeful about taking the bus.  We had a metro stop AND a bus stop right in front of our apartment.  I found a wonderful online site for planning out how to get places.  If it was easy, we often took the bus.  If we needed to get there more directly, we took the metro.  But the site also gave us walking directions!  I had an offline map of Paris on my phone, so mostly we did ok.  Mostly.  And sometimes we had an adventure.  But we always got there!

To be continued....

"Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk,
for I give myself to you."
Psalm 143:8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now Somewhere in the Black Mining Hills of Dakota....

THE WEDDING!

On Being Alone