I Have A New Knee!

Wow, it has been since September that I posted.  I have no excuse, except life is worth living, and I spend a lot of time with family and grandchildren.

Oh, and I had a Total Knee Replacement in January.

I still can hardly believe I was brave enough to have a knee replacement.  I kept telling myself I was too young for this.  I was hoping and praying a cortisone shot every 6 months would do it.  And it did, for about two years.  But then, the shot would only help for two months.  Two months of being able to walk normally, sit on the floor and play with the grands, climb stairs, etc.  Then the next two months....   I was told the rooster comb type injections would not help.

So, this is what I learned:
1.  You should really be ready for the challenge.  For me, I really, really needed to be tired of the pain and the limping.  No one but you can make the decision.

2.  You should participate in any education offered by your Doctor's office.  Mine offered what they called "Joint Camp", and they discussed both knees and hips.  Great for both Mike and I to attend.  I have taken care of Total Joints, but I enjoyed the refresher and listening to the questions the others asked.

3.  It's nice to know about the equipment you will be needing and about the Physical Therapy you will have.  We practiced walking with a walker and a cane.  I've had enough injuries to have used crutches many times, so this was easy.

4.  Expect to be up with Physical Therapy the first day.  Really!  My surgery was at 0730, and I was up walking the halls with therapy that afternoon.  Amazing!

5.  Some folks spend one night, some folks spend two around here.  I spent two.

6.  Listen to your nurses!  They will explain your care, and your pain medications.  I was told not to let my pain get too high before I called for medication.  I certainly followed that advice.  The cocktail of medications my doctor ordered were perfect.

7.  Ice is your best friend for a long time.  After three months,  I still iced my knee at bedtime.  I am very glad I had an Power ice machine.  Really provided pain relief and swelling relief.  I am much more active now, but I still use ice after a particularly strenuous day.  I was told my knee could continue to swell up to a year.  At four months, I am happy to report this happens very rarely.

8.  You progress at your own pace with therapy.  I imagine everyone is different.  I depended on my Home Physical Therapist to guide me.  The exercises were done faithfully every day.  I was able to move from the walker to the cane in two weeks.  "Counter cruising" soon followed.    So glad to be finished with the cane, but I am not finished with continuing exercises.

9.  I was excited to move to Outpatient Therapy.  And I really, really loved going!  It was a challenge every time.  Some exercises were the same, but Mitch always added something new in as well.  I was very sad when my time ended.  I now ride a recumbent bike, do squats, and balance exercises.

10.  I was surprised how quickly my need for pain medication decreased.  The stronger my knee became, the less I needed.

11.  Balance is so important!  I already knew that.  I had been practicing balance before surgery.
I still do balance exercises.

So now, it's been Four months.  I've beet finished with outpatient therapy about a month.  Got such a good report at the end.  Excellent flexion, and excellent extension.  I worked hard for that! I am so excited that I can go up and down stairs!  No pain!  My knee bends correctly!


Just for fun, here are the front and side views of my post op knee replacement!



"The Lord is my strength and shield.
I trust him, and he helps me.
I am very happy, 
and I praise him with my song."

Psalm 28:7













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advertures in Dining with Ava

Jay's Birthday

Ava Is One Years Old!